Beef Wellington with chestnuts, served with sprouts and pancetta, and parsnip and honey mash




Beef Wellington. Yes! I was looking forward to making this amazing dish, which I’ve eaten before in restaurants. It’s Christmas and now’s the time to make this wonderful yet ambitious dish myself. If I’m honest with myself, it didn’t turn out the way I would’ve liked. As you’ll no doubt notice, my layer of pastry wasn’t thick enough and therefore cracked and split somewhat through the baking process, exposing some of the ham underneath and not looking so great. But I made two Wellingtons, so perhaps the second one (still chilling in the fridge and which we’ll have on New Year’s Day) won’t be so flaky upon serving. Anyway, other than the appearance factor, I’m pleased and proud of the result and we found it to be a truly delicious feast. My layer of mushroom pâté included chestnuts which added a brilliant dimension of flavour. The parsnip and honey mash was also a hit, enhanced as it was with some sour cream.

Three fun facts:
  • There is dispute over the origin of Beef Wellington. Although some believe its origin is attributed to Arthur Wellesley 1st Duke of Wellington, there is no definite proof confirming this. Some believe Beef Wellington could have simply been a rebranding of a French dish, filet de bœuf en croute (meaning fillet of beef in pastry).
  • Beef Wellington is made with the most expensive cut of beef, fillet of beef.
  • A Beef Wellington can keep in the fridge for a great many days before baked.









Comments